South Oxfordshire District Council (SODC) has prepared the latest draft of its Local Plan which explains where, and why, it considers new houses and employment should be located up until the year 2033. The plan also explains how it will raise money to provide infrastructure for things like roads, schools, leisure centres, parks and shops.
It has already consulted on three earlier versions of this document, as follows:
“Issues and scope” (June 2014)
“Refined options” (February 2015)
“Preferred options” (June 2016)
It is now seeking views on its Local Plan: Second Preferred Options, the Sustainability Appraisal and Habitats Regulations Assessment.
How to get involved
You can read the draft Local Plan and the supporting documents on the SODC Website.
Paper copies of the plan will be available across the district, at the locations listed below:
• SODC office at 135 Eastern Avenue, Milton Park, Abingdon, OX14 4SB - weekdays from 8.30am to 5pm (4.30pm Fridays)
• Public libraries in Benson, Berinsfield, Chinnor, Didcot, Goring, Henley, Sonning Common, Thame, Wallingford, Watlington, Wheatley and Woodcote during their usual opening hours, or
• Abbey Sports Centre Berinsfield, Chalgrove Post Office, Clifton Hampden Post Office, Cornerstone Didcot, Culham Science Centre and Didcot Wave Leisure Centre during their usual opening hours.
The draft documents will be subject to consultation for a seven week period from Wednesday 29 March to 5pm on Wednesday 17 May 2017. The standard consultation period has been extended by one week to allow for Easter.
SODC is holding four drop-in events across the district during the consultation period. Go along and view the consultation documents and information boards and ask SODC questions:
• Didcot: Cornerstone, 1pm – 7pm on Wednesday 5 April
• Wallingford: Regal Centre, 3pm – 7pm on Friday 7 April
• Thame: Barns Centre, 10am – 4pm on Saturday 8 April
• Henley: The Christ Church Centre, 10am - 4pm on Saturday 22 April
How to comment
You can comment on the draft documents until 5pm on Wednesday 17 May 2017, by:
• completing a form at one of the drop-in events and posting it in the ballot box
• participating in the online survey, accessed via the SODC Website (registration is required)
• downloading a copy of the comment form from the SODC Website, or collecting a hard copy from the locations listed previously and either:
- posting it to SODC Planning Policy, 135 Eastern Avenue, Milton Park, Abingdon, OX14 4SB, or
• emailing or writing to SODC using the above addresses.
To take part in the consultation SODC require your name and address. Your name and comments will be made available for public viewing so these cannot be treated as confidential.
Call for Sites
In conjunction with the Local Plan, the council carries out land suitability assessments for a variety of uses including housing, employment and gypsy and traveller sites. This assessment is known as the Strategic Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (SHELAA).
SODC is now inviting landowners to submit potential development sites for consideration. This will help the Council to understand the amount and type of development it can deliver through the emerging Local Plan.
For further information please visit the SODC Website - 'Call for Sites'.
The Second Preferred Options document is not the final version of the Local Plan. SODC intend to publish the final version before the end of 2017, at which time the public will have a further opportunity to make its views known.
CPRE Oxfordshire, 29 March